FutureWorks is pleased to have recently been awarded a contract by eThekwini Municipality to provide support for the implementation of the Durban Adaptation Charter (DAC). The DAC, developed and launched in Durban at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Conference of the Parties (COP 17) in 2011, commits participating cities and towns around the world to local level climate change response. EThekwini Municipality has committed to providing the secretariat role for the DAC over the next three years and has contracted FutureWorks to provide support to this function.
Since the establishment of the DAC, over 1000 cities in 45countries, mostly from the developing world, have signed the Charter. The DAC commits signatories to 10 principles which include: mainstreaming adaptation, understanding climate risks, preparing adaptation strategies, alignment with mitigation, meeting the needs of vulnerable communities, seeking innovative funding mechanisms, prioritising the role of functioning ecosystems as core municipal green infrastructure, monitoring and evaluation, and promoting governance and partnerships.
The role of the DAC Secretariat is to promote adoption of the Charter and oversee its implementation globally. Focal areas of the DAC Secretariat include the development of partnerships between cities to promote shared learning and the exchange of information; organising and hosting workshops covering specific themes related to climate change; communicating opportunities relating to adaptation as well as funding to signatory cities; and serving as an avenue for cities to collectively explore solutions to the climate change challenges that they face and communicate these through ICLEI into the international negotiation process.
FutureWorks will provide support to the DAC Secretariat in the following key areas:
- Communicating regularly with DAC signatories, providing updates on DAC developments and opportunities available. This will be done via email, through the updating of the DAC website, and through a newsletter.
- Mapping adaptation related opportunities. This will involve identifying opportunities in climate change adaptation for cities, including funding and training opportunities, and communicating these to the signatories.
- Providing support for regional and international meetings. This will involve providing assistance in the development of regional international meetings for cities on climate change, and accessing funding for these meetings.
- Documenting adaptation case studies. This will involve the write up of key case studies from a variety of cities to demonstrate the key learnings from climate change adaptation interventions that have been implemented.
- Conducting annual surveys of the DAC signatories.
- Assisting with the development of a Monitoring and Evaluation System for the DAC to document the effectiveness of the Charter.
FutureWorks is excited to be part of a project that has an impact on climate change at both a global and local level and is looking forward to providing support to eThekwini Municipality and thus together successfully implementing the DAC.